Parents all around the country are scouting out locations to host the perfect graduation party. From small brunches to hundreds gathered in a hall, families are excited to celebrate the student in their life. But as an academic career comes to a close, a next chapter begins.
This exciting time has also brings the question – Now what? Does the student have a job lined up? Where will they live when they leave college? How will they pay back loans? Was it all worth it?
Parents – while you are hunting for the party venue, your student should be:
- Visiting the career service center on campus
- Attending career fairs both on campus and in the city where they wish to live
- Creating a professional resume
- Adjusting email addresses & outgoing voice mail messages to be more “work appropriate”
- Networking with alumni
- Creating a LinkedIn account
- Cleaning up their social media footprint
- Taking a Get-Attention workshop
With the right preparation, your student should have a job lined up. This should give you something to celebrate and something to brag to your neighbors about!